The following rules were found in the book “Clare Remembered 1879 – 1979,” published by the Clare Area Centennial Committee. Citizens bank stood on the corner of Fourth and MeEwan and operated for 70 years ,beginning in 1908.
- Office employees will daily sweep the floors, dust the furniture, shelves and counters.
- Each day fill lamps, clean chimneys, and trim wicks. Wash the windows once a week.
- Each clerk will bring in a bucket of water and a scuttle of coal for the day’s business.
- Make your pens carefully; You may whittle nibs to suit your individual taste.
- The office is will open at 7 a.m. and close at 8 p.m. daily except on the Sabbath, on which day it will remain closed. Each employee is expected to spend the Sabbath by attending church.
- Men employees will be given an evening off each week for courting purposes, or two evening off a week of they go regularly to church.
- Every employee should lay aside for each pay a goodly sum of his earnings for his benefit during his declining years so that he will not become a burden upon the charity of his betters.
- Any employee who smokes Spanish cigars, uses liquor in any form, gets shaved at a barber shop, or frequents pool or public halls, will give us good reason to suspect his worth, intentions, integrity of honesty.
- The employee who has performed his labor faithfully, and without fault for a period of five years in our service, and who has been thrifty, and is looked upon by his fellow men as a law abiding citizen, will be given an increase of ten cents per day in his pay, provided a just return in profits from the business permits it.